Burrard Dry Dock Co. Ltd. collection
Physical description2 photograph albums; large b&w prints
Administrative history / Biographical sketchBurrard Dry Dock Company was established in the 1890s by Alfred Wallace, a shipbuilder from Devonport, in England: it was incorporated in 1905 as Wallace Shipyard, Ltd. The original yard was on the north side of False Creek, in Vancouver, but they moved to North Vancouver in 1909. The name was changed to Wallace Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Ltd., in 1920 and to Burrard Dry Dock Co., Ltd., in 1926. During World War Two, Burrard operated a second shipyard, called Vancouver Dry Dock, which was at the foot of McLean Avenue, on the south shore of Burrard Inlet: this yard had four ways, like the main yard, but only built bare hulls, leaving the outfitting to the main yard. (A hull # with a V indicates that the hull was built in the company's Vancouver shipyard and outfitted in North Vancouver.) Burrard acquired the other large shipbuilder in the region, Yarrows, in 1946 and the other large yards, Victoria Machinery Depot and Pacific Dry Dock, in 1951, but they did not change the name to Burrard Yarrows until 1979. Burrard Yarrows was bought by Versatile Corporation in 1984 and became Versatile Pacific Shipyards Inc. The Burrard yard in North Vancouver closed in 1988.
Information sourced from Shipbuilding History. http://shipbuildinghistory.com/canadayards/burrard.htm
Scope & contentCollection consists of photographs and printed materials related to the history of Burrard Shipyards.