The Outboard Boating Club of Vancouver was founded in October 1952 by George Hynek, Jim McKee, Alf Whiting, Rolly Stoker, Arnold Wagstaff, and Al Hallowell. The first meeting of the club was in 1953 and was attended by 30 members. A membership drive in 1954 drive quickly increased the club membership to 130.
In 1954 the club obtained their charter, officially registering as the Outboard Boating Club of Vancouver. The club was based out of North Vancouver and held monthly meetings where they operated with an elected slate of volunteer positions including Commodore, Vice Commodore, Secretary, Treasurer, and general executive members for various committees. Committees organized group fishing trips and derbies, picnics, dances and regattas, day and overnight cruises, social functions, club wharfages, and maritime insurance services for its members. The club produced a monthly bulletin titled "Sea Spray" and in 1957 had regular columns that appeared in the Vancouver Herald newspaper "Boating Section". The club was affiliated with the O.B.C. of America and the B.C. Council of Yacht Clubs, and were members of the Canadian Boating Federation and the American Power Boat Association.
In June 1963 the Outboard Boating Club of Vancouver officially re-registered as the Vancouver Cruising Club. The objectives of the renewed society were to serve the interests of pleasure boat owners; to defend owners against discriminatory legislation and burdensome taxation; to prevent the pollution of neighbouring recreational waters; to stimulate a greater interest in boating among all citizens in the area served by the club; to own or lease property for Club users; to develop a fraternal spirit among local outdoors enthusiasts, to provide a medium for the exchange of boating information; to develop more adequate boat storage and dock facilities; and to formulate rules to govern the inter-club competitive events.