Glen K. Sargent photograph collection [graphic materials] / Glen Kirk Sargent

Collection number
VMM43
Date(s)
ca. 1951-1967
Physical description
ca. 350 photographs : 348 b&w, 2 col. ; 10.2 x 12.7 cm or smaller
Administrative history / Biographical sketch

Glen Kirk Sargent (Reg. No. 14756, ex-Sgt.) was born June 24, 1925, at Birds Hill, Manitoba, and joined the Force September 30, 1946, at Vancouver, British Columbia. Upon completion of training at Depot Division, Regina, Saskatchewan, Sargent was posted to "E" Division, British Columbia, serving aboard the St. Roch, until the fall of 1948, when he was transferred to "G" Division, Herschel Island, Yukon Territory. Sargent also served at Spence Bay, Northwest Territories. On April 19, 1950, he was transferred to Depot Division, and on September 30, 1951, he returned to "G" Division, serving at Spence Bay, Craig Harbour, Grise Fiord, and Coppermine. During his time there, the Inuit called him angajuqaaq, "the boss".

On January 12, 1959, Sargent was transferred to "E" Division, and was stationed at Fort St. John, Kitimat, Chetwynd, and Prince George. On August 27, 1962, Sargent returned to "G" Division, serving at Herschel Island, Aklavik, Fort Smith and Frobisher Bay. On August 15, 1968, he was transferred to "F" Division, Saskatchewan, and was stationed at Regina and Rosetown. He retired to pension September 29, 1971. Sargent was promoted to corporal November 1, 1953, and to sergeant November 1, 1964.

Glen Sargent was married to Olga Elizabeth Sargent (née Nilson). They had three children: Cynthia Elizabeth, Corey Blake, and Clinton Boyd. Glen passed away at the age of 63 on November 22, 1988 at Aldergrove, British Columbia.

Scope & content

Collection consists of photographs taken by Glen Kirk Sargent during his time posted at "G" Division, serving at Spence Bay (Taloyoak or Talurjuaq), Craig Harbour, Grise Fiord (Aujuittuq), and Coppermine (Kugluktuk), Nunavut from 1951-1958. The majority of the images focus on the building of the RCMP detachment at Grise Fiord and closing the detachment at Craig Harbour. In 1956, the RCMP post moved from Craig Harbour to Grise Fiord and this move may be reflected in these images.

Inuit Special Constables (S/Cst.) and their wives and families are featured heavily in the images. Special focus is on S/Cst. Lazaroosie "Kayak" Kyak (1919-1976). He is also sometimes referred to as "Lazarus Kyak" in official documents. Other Inuit people pictured are: Letia Kyak (Lazaroosie Kyak's wife), Penny (Mary) Kyak (Kyak's daughter), Leah Kyak (Kyak's daughter), Lilly Kyak (Kyak's daughter), S/Cst. Johanasie Arreak, Angnakudlak, and Panikpak. The other Caucasian RCMP officer heavily pictured in this collection is Bob Pilot. He was a constable at Craig Harbour and Grise Fiord from 1955 to 1958. He may be the photographer of some of the images in the collection.

In 1922, the RCMP established a post at Craig Harbour, 55 kilometers west of Grise Fiord. In 1953, the Government of Canada announced plans to resettle Inuit from areas of dwindling food resources to the High Arctic where game and fur animals were reported in abundant supply. This relocation was also intended to reinforce Canada's claim to the High Arctic and remains highly controversial. To assist the Inuit, government trading stores were set up and operated under the supervision of the RCMP. In August of 1953, seven families from the Inukjuak (Port Harrison) area in northern Quebec and three families from Pond Inlet (including Kyak’s family) were resettled in communities at Resolute Bay on Cornwallis Island and at Grise Fiord, near the Craig Harbour police post on Ellesmere Island. They moved the relocatees to Grise Fiord, while the RCMP members stayed in Craig Harbour, where the detachment and store remained until 1956. That year the officers also moved to the Grise Fiord site. This action was in part a precautionary rehabilitation measure so that the Inuit would not become too dependent on the detachment and store.

Also featured in Sargent's images is the "Lindstrom Camp". The RCMP chose the Lindstrom Peninsula as the site for the Inuit relocation camp, seemingly because there were Thule (ancestors of all modern Inuit) ruins on the beach. Superintendent Henry Larsen was heavily involved in the relocation and selection of sites. This may explain why Beverly Larsen (Henry Larsen’s daughter) is shown in two of the images in this collection. Likely she accompanied her father while he visited the sites.

Note: Work on this collection is ongoing. Many more photographs have not yet been catalogued. Please contact the Archivist for more information.

References:

Arrangement

Original order of the photographs has been maintained. An attempt to reconstruct original order of the slides was made after they became mixed in shipping. Titles of each image, unless otherwise indicated, are transcribed exactly as the author wrote them.

Languages
English
Restrictions
Reproductions: Copyright Vancouver Maritime Museum. Photographs will enter the public domain on January 1, 2039.
Loading...
Loading...